7.13.2009

happy 4th

We had an awesome 4th of July!! My family at home were all running a 10k race the morning of the 4th and I really wanted to run it with them. Obviously this was impossible, so I conviced Scott that we should do a race ourselves. He was so awesome to oblige, so we woke up early, grabbed the camera, and took off. Lots of photo opps:)

The start of the race. Significantly less sweaty than the end.
There was a little lizard outside our door to send us on our way.
Notice our patriotic shorts:).





Next year we decided we are making t-shirts.


We ran across the bridge to the island. The view was spectacular! This is definitely one of my favorite routes.



Scott hadn't really trained for this (being busy with school and all), and it was starting to get really humid and hot. To distract himself he went through the entire anatomy of the leg. It was pretty cool learning about how the leg works while I was running. Personally, I was so out of breath, I don't know how he could talk, but it worked!



We seriously live in a jungle! I've never seen anything like it.





This turtle wasn't actually there when we ran, but I came across it two days later on a bike ride and thought he was cool. He looks like a dinosaur. I decided to name him Herbert.



We finished!! Miracle of miracles.




We unburned all of the calories from the run by making a scrumptious breakfast: bacon, whole wheat pancakes, and a delish smoothie. Yum.
Me, trying not to look awkward, but making this picture more awkward.
Bon appetite! For a graduation gift, Scott and I gave ourselves a Back to Basics personal blender (kind of like the magic bullet, but better!) and we LOVE it! Seriously, it's awesome. It works great for making smoothies and it is way easier to clean than a blender.


In the afternoon, Kim's in-laws were so kind to invite us out to their house on IOP for swimming, BBQ, and homemade ice cream. We decked out the golf carts and rode to the beach around 9pm to watch fireworks.




The moon shining off the ocean was so beautiful (the pictures don't capture how it really looked, but they're pretty anyway!). It was definitely a first for me to watch fireworks from the beach. We could see all the other islands' fireworks going off at the same time, not to mention hear the waves crashing on the beach. We were SO exhausted by the end of the day.






4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the 10K! That turtle is so cool. I keep forgetting what a different world you live in with all the sea life and the beach. That picture of the moon shining off of the beach is so pretty, I can only imagine it in real life. Happy 4th!

scott, natalie and kids said...

Your 10k route was way more exciting than ours. The beach, bridges, and trees. We got the sham. Maybe next year we should all do your 10k in S.C. BTW I think your outfit for your interview totally rocked. Sorry you didn't get the job :( Clayton has been asking to skype so we will talk soon!

Meredith Shatzer said...

Rachael! You're absolutely beautiful! I'm so happy you found us! Now I can keep up with your life on the other side of the country. It looks absolutely gorgeous! I'm so happy for you guys and I hope you're really enjoying your time there. I can't wait to hear more!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go you too! The race looks like it was cool and you had a blast. How are things?