We have some lovely friends named Captain Ron and Pennye who own a sail boat. They have been so kind as to take us sailing a few times since we have been here, and we LOVE it. They are trying to teach us how to sail... it is a lot more complicated than you might think!! Not to mention a whole new language. I think we have finally gotten down which side is starboard and which side is port and I know that if you turn one direction in the wind you are tacking and the other way is jibing. We've still got a lot to learn, obviously. But there is nothing like being on the open sea. And it helps beat the heat. This last Saturday when we went out, there were some historical boats in the harbor from all over the world which were really cool. They also had some of the harbor closed for an air show with an insane pilot who was flipping and twirling all over the place. He would get a few feet away from the water before shooting into the air again... it was really cool to watch from the water. Oh, yeah, here are the pictures:
Off to sea with the Cooper River Bridge in the background.
We took Pennye and Ron's grandkids with us one time we went, and their grandson fell asleep on the bow... so adorable.
Are you sure you want me to steer the boat?
I got this, I got this.


Fort Sumter

The crazy speck of a plane.

Really neat-o boat.

A pirate ship... argh.

Captain Scott
He looks a little nervous. He did great, though!
Working on my tan and watching for dolphins.
They come up right beside the boat- I love it!
They come up right beside the boat- I love it!

Fort Sumter
The crazy speck of a plane.
Really neat-o boat.
A pirate ship... argh.


3 comments:
Wow that is so cool. Like really, I can't believe you can just go out and sail a sailboat! Amazing. Hope you're having a great time out there.
So fun! You are so tan Rach and skinny. Jealous. I am going running tomorrow for sure. It was fun to talk to you tonight. We miss you.
Those are great pictures and look like so much fun. You're so tan, I love it! That little boy asleep like that is so cute, and so funny. Sailing must really wear you out. That was a great picture you got of the plane...I mean, it's a little small, but you can see it's going straight up in the air. Crazy! "I'm sailing!" how fun!
Post a Comment